At Sydney bar Re — and in the Top 50 Drinks of the Year — you'll find this drink from chef Josh Donachie.
Bad Apple cocktail
- 45ml caramelised white chocolate rum
- 10ml 1:1 sugar syrup
- 5ml fig leaf distillate
- 5ml Heiwa Yuzushu
Chill ingredients and serve over block ice. Garnish with chocolate aero.
For the White chocolate rum:
- 700ml white rum
- 200gm white chocolate
- Put white choc in oven for 8 minutes at 180C.
- Let chocolate cool down (in a freezer 1 hour).
- Add chocolate to Thermomix with rum and pulse for 10 seconds.
- Add to vac bag and then freeze overnight.
- Strain through a coffee filter and bottle.
For the fig leaf distillate:
- 50g fig leaf
- 700ml Kettle One
- Vacuum seal and leave at room temp for 24 hours.
- Blend and strain.
- Redistill at 55C.
For the chocolate aero garnish:
Place containers in freezer overnight:
- 485g of white chocolate
- 25g of olive oil
Combine the chocolate and olive oil and vacuum seal place in circulator @ 50 degrees for about ten minutes until combined and melted.
Charge in cream whipper 3 times shaking vigorously each charge. Add to vaccuum container. Push small button down and vacuum until doubled in size, place in freezer overnight.
From the drink’s creator, Josh Donachie:
“Being a chef working in one of the best bars in the country I wanted to challenge myself to create a drink worthy to serve in a world class venue.”