Two Australian bars make their debut on the World's 50 Best Bars 2021 - get the full list here.
This morning Australian time, at a ceremony in London, the annual unveiling of the World’s 50 Best Bars list took place with four Australian bars making the cut this year. Three bars from Sydney and one Melbourne bar made the list.
Cantina OK! returned to the list this year after debuting last year at 28. This year the micro Sydney mezcal bar has improved its position, coming in at 23 this year.
Sydney cocktail bar Maybe Sammy made its third appearance on the World’s 50 Best Bars list, landing at 22 and taking out the title of the Best Bar in Australasia.
And in Melbourne, the Hayden Lambert-helmed Above Board made its first entry onto the 50 Best, coming in at 44.
The top two spots on the evening went to two London bars: Tayer + Elementary claimed the number two spot, with the title of the number one bar in the world in 2021 going to The Connaught for the second year in a row.
Matt Whiley’s Sydney bar Re made its debut on the list, with the no-waste newcomer landing at number 46. They also picked up the Ketel One Sustainable Bar award at the awards.
The Altos Bartender's Bartender award went to the accomplished Lynnette Marrero from New York, a recognition not only of her bartending talent and skill but also her philanthropic work with Speed Rack.
The Roku Industry Icon award this year was awarded to bartender Remy Savage, whose most recent opening in London — The Bar With Shapes For A Name — is inspired by the Bauhaus movement.
This year also saw the introduction of a new award, the Siete Misterios Best Cocktail Menu award, which went to Lab 22 from Cardiff, Wales.
This year saw 600-odd voters spread across the world over 28 regional voting panels cast votes for their favourite seven bars. [Full disclosure: I am the Oceania Academy Chair.]
Take a look at the full list below.
- The Connaught, London
- Tayer + Elementary, London
- Paradiso, Barcelona
- The Clumsies, Athens
- Floreria Atlantico, Buenos Aires — winner of the Best Bar in South America award
- Licoreria Limantour, Mexico City — winner of the Best Bar in North America
- Coa, Hong Kong — winner of The Best Bar in Asia
- El Copitas, St. Petersburg
- Jigger & Pony, Singapore
- Katana Kitten, New York
- Two Schmucks, Barcelona
- Hanky Panky, Mexico City — the Disaronno Highest New Entry Award
- Insider Bar, Moscow — winner of The London Essence Best New Opening award
- Baba Au Rum, Athens
- Manhattan, Singapore
- ATLAS, Singapore
- Zuma, Dubai — the Best Bar in the Middle East & Africa
- The SG Club, Tokyo
- Drink Kong, Rome
- 1930, Milan
- Presidente, Buenos Aires — winner of the Nikka Highest Climber award
- Maybe Sammy, Sydney — the winner of the Best Bar in Australasia
- Cantina OK!, Sydney
- Salmon Guru, Madrid — the winner of the Michter’s Art of Hospitality award
- Handshake Speakeasy, Mexico City
- No Sleep Club, Singapore
- Camparino In Galleria, Milan
- Cafe La Trova, Miami
- Little Red Door, Paris
- Dante, New York
- Kwant, London
- Bar Benfiddich, Tokyo
- Tres Monos, Buenos Aires
- Attaboy, New York — winner of the Remy Martin Legend of the List award
- Lucy’s Flower Shop, Stockholm
- MO Bar, Singapore
- Sips, Barcelona
- Baltra Bar, Mexico City
- Sober Company, Shanghai
- Tjoget, Stockholm
- Epic, Shanghai
- Charles H, Seoul
- Tippling Club, Singapore
- Above Board, Melbourne
- Galaxy Bar, Dubai
- Re, Sydney
- Sidecar, New Delhi
- Union Trading Company, Shanghai
- Darkside, Hong Kong
- Quinary, Hong Kong